True leadership isn’t a matter of having a certain job or title. In fact, being chosen for a position is only the first of the five levels every effective leader achieves. To become more than “the boss” people follow only because they are required to, you have to master the ability to invest in and inspire people. To grow further in your role, you must achieve results and build a team that pro- duces. You need to help people develop their skills to become leaders in their own right. And if you have the skill and dedication, you can reach the pinnacle of leadership.
The 5 Levels of Leadership are:
- Position. People follow because they have to.
- Permission. People follow because they want to.
- Production. People follow because of what you have done for the organization.
- People Development. People follow because of what you have done for them personally.
- Pinnacle. People follow because of who you are and what you represent.
Through humor, in-depth insight and examples, internationally recognized
leadership expert John C. Maxwell describes each of these stages of leadership. In The 5 Levels of Leadership, he shows how to master each level and rise up to the next to become a more influential, respected and successful leader.